5:2 Fast Diet Vegetarian Barbeque Recipes … A surprisingly perfect combination.


First things first, I have an apology, these recipes are from a few weeks back and I've accidentally deleted the photos. Thought it was worth posting none the less since my Vegetarian 5:2 BBQ was delicious!

According to the weather man (though he's not always to be trusted), there is a week of sunshine ahead. Whilst it's not the scorching temparatures of July, I'm not one to sniff at a little sunshine. So I'll be dusting off my BBQ and getting outside for an alfresco supper! Luckily the recipes are all sorted because a few weeks back (before the monsoons set in), Ed and I had a wonderful 5:2 BBQ one evening and I jotted down what we ate.
 
Once I thought about it, the 5:2 fast diet is actually really compatible with barbequing. After all, there’s little in the way of frying and you can prepare delicious salads to go alongside your slightly blackened offerings. To make things a little easier, I decided to sacrifice the bread rolls this time and go for a large flat mushroom in place of the burger (I pimped it up a bit though, see below).

Of course, all my recipes are vegetarian… If you are horrified at the thought of grilling without something meaty, then why not try some turkey burgers or Ed’s favourite, Venison Burgers since they are far less calories than their beefy counterparts.

Here’s a couple of rather simple recipes from the BBQ fare we feasted on this evening, they are designed for two people so multiply up if you are feeding a crowd. Throw in some vegetable’s impaled on wooden skewers and you’re pretty much done. We teamed it all with a chickpea and apple salad dressed in mint, lemon juice and a tiny splosh of olive oil (I loved it, Ed wasn’t so keen).

Fresh, simple and full of flavour, it might have been a fast day but I didn’t feel deprived.


5:2 Vegetarian “Burgers”… 83 calories a portion

I plumped for flat mushrooms rather than a traditional burger, partly because they are wonderfully hearty and act almost as a bowl for the filling (which then doubles up as a condiment in place of sugary ketchup or calorie-laden mayo) and partly because their tiny calorie content means I get to have butter on my corn.

These were rather simple and a little delicious! Taking two large flat mushrooms (33), I mixed up a cheesy topping that contained:

60g Philadelphia light (120)

1tsp Sweet Chilli Sauce (10)

10g Fresh coriander leaves finely chopped (3)

Lime zest (trace)

The chopped up stalk from the mushrooms (see above)

Filling the mushrooms with the mix and then placing atop the hot bars until they were charred on the bottom and bubbling on top. So delicious.

With this being another cheesy 5:2 recipe, they also fit right in with my theme for the first month of Feasting While Fasting, a challenge to food bloggers everywhere to come up with innovative low calorie delights.


Low Cal Corn… 105 calories for a mini cob

Butter slathered onto sweetcorn is such a wonderful indulgence and it’s difficult to devise a low calorie version but come summer time I just can’t get enough of them. For a fast-day friendly version you just need to mix:

1 tsp low fat butter (I use lurpak lighter) (54)

Zest of a lime (trace)

Sprinkle of chilli flakes (trace)

Salt and Pepper (trace)

Then take the mix and spread it equally over 1 corn-on-the-cob (156) that has been chopped in half before wrapping them individually in tin foil. These can just go straight onto the barbie for 15 minutes – turning occasionally. Cooking them this way means you won’t use nearly as much butter and it will just steam away, soaking up the wonderful flavours of the chilli and lime.


 

Comments