Apple In and Out Recipe - A classic Devonshire Pudding.

We’ve had muffin mania and cupcake craziness, it seems that people are going nutty for the cronut too! But whilst these American delicacies are indeed delicious, let us not forget the Great British Puddings.

As the long nights draw in and the never-abating drizzle renders our feet permanently soggy, is there anything more comforting than a warm pudding? Perhaps a little on the heavy side with a ladle full of custard or a dollop of cream? Nope I don’t think so!

With this in mind, I want to resurrect an old classic that hails from my favourite part of the world, Devon! You may not have heard of it but it’s the perfect option for days when a pie or a crumble seem like a bit too much effort, it’s an Apple In and Out.

This was one of the first things I ever learnt to cook, nestled in the middle of one of my mum’s recipe books (see below for details on this); it stood out to my inexperienced eyes because of the sheer lack of ingredients and cooking steps.

This is one to try with the kids or when you just don’t have a huge amount of time to spend in the kitchen, it may take a while in the oven but the prep is a doddle!


Devonshire Apple In and Out with Maple Syrup

There are two simple steps to this recipe. Number one… in a bowl mix the following with 2/3 tablespoons of cold water, just enough to make a soft but not sticky dough:

8oz self-raising flour
4oz suet (I used vegetable suet)
2oz caster sugar
2 large apples – peeled, cored and cut into chunks (these ought to be Bramley but I used some of the sharp eating apples from the tree in my garden and they were fine)
2 tablespoons maple syrup (this is optional – it was something i came up with last night but it’s lovely with or without)

Then secondly, plonk it into a greased pie dish and pop it into an oven at Gas Mark 4 for about 45 minutes or until it’s lovely and golden brown.

Serve this on a blustery day, warm from the oven with cream or custard. Perfect comfort food and without much effort at all.

I had a bit of a search for the recipe book online and it seems that it’s no longer in print, such a shame because everything I’ve made from it has been delicious. Particularly the Clotted Cream Biscuits! I have however found this on Amazon where you can get a used copy.

Don't miss a recipe, come and follow me on Twitter
 
 
 

Comments