Quick and Vegetarian Lahmacun Recipe for a Turkish Mid-Week Supper


I have made many a trip to turkey and gazed longingly at the Lahmacun (pronounced Lach-ma-jun); a pizza like dish with a minced lamb topping laden with aromatic spices. Of course it’s not the lamb that I’m enticed by; it’s the delicate spicing that wafts through the air and the allure of a cooling salad on the side.

This decidedly carnivorous dish featured on the episode of Ottolenghi’s Mediterranean Feast I watched the other evening. As I watched, I vowed to make a version that would not only satisfy my vegetarian needs but Ed’s meaty tendencies too.

An internet search later and I’d uncovered a number of options that substituted in Aubergine. It makes perfect sense to do this, after all the humble purple veg is a fantastic vessel for all manner of flavours. Problem is… Ed is not a fan in the slightest. So it was with reluctance that I returned to the drawing-board.

It just so happened that I had some smoked tofu in the fridge, and this particular selection was studded with almonds and sesame seeds (the perfect companion to the tahini-slathered base). If you think you don’t like tofu then try the smoked version; it’s firm and flavoursome and has converted many a naysayer!

For a mid-week supper there really wasn’t the time to make the dough so some Khobez flat breads would make a fine base. These thick, chewy wraps are commonly found in Middle Eastern shops but a large pitta would do a marvellous job as would the Warburton’s Square Wraps (they are that bit thicker than your average tortilla).

Vegetarian Lahmacun with Smoked Tofu
Serves 4

Pop 200g smoked tofu (I used one from Taifun with Sesame and Almonds) in the food processor with a small white onion, a clove of garlic and 15g fresh coriander. Pulse quickly until it’s roughly chopped. You could of course crumble the tofu and chop the rest.

Pop into a bowl with 1.5 tbsp of date syrup (the traditional recipe calls for Pomegranate Molasses and this is more readily available in supermarkets but the dates full flavour can stand up to the smokey notes), 1 tsp each of ground sumac, cumin and coriander, ½ tsp cinnamon and chilli flakes, a splash of lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix it all up until everything is well combined.

Take two khobez breads and slather each one with a tbsp of tahini, atop with the tofu mix before adorning with scattered pine nuts (about 10gs will do it).

Pop onto a baking tray and into an oven at gas mark 6 for 15 minutes, essentially once it’s golden brown with a few crispy bits on top it’s done.

I served up mine with a chopped salad, a few slices of fresh fig, a crumbling of feta cheese and a punchy coriander dressing.

As for the dressing, it couldn’t be easier. 15g coriander into the food processor or blender then whizzed up with half a red chilli (by all means, throw in the whole thing), 2 tbsp white wine vinegar, 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, a quick squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper.

And that’s it really; a recipe that didn’t take all day and it certainly livened up our Wednesday night!


Don't miss a recipe, come and follow me on Twitter

 



Comments

  1. When I went to Turkey I saw this being served at local eateries, but as a veggie stayed away from it. When I came back home I created a veggie version too, delicious it was. I am really curious to try your tofu version now. Thanks for sharing the recipe. As a vegetarian, I am so excited to have stumbled upon your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment Shaheen, really pleased that you like the look of the recipe. Let me know how it goes if you make it. Really chuffed that you like the blog too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment