Feasting while Fasting: A Cheesy Round Up


Regular readers will remember that a month ago I launched the Feasting While Fasting Challenge, the aim was to start to build a collection of Vegetarian 5:2 recipes beyond those that I post. Unfortunately, it hasn’t taken off, perhaps it’s because it’s the summer, perhaps I got ahead of myself and my blog is a little too young to be the host of a challenge, perhaps cheese wasn’t the best plan or maybe there aren’t enough 5:2 Bloggers out there for the subject matter to be sustainable. For whatever reason, the only entries were my own.

So it seems that the time has come to close the door on this particular challenge but since I have promised a cheesy roundup, I thought I’d have a hunt for some of my favourite Vegetarian 5:2 diet recipes that involve Cheese in all its guises. Of course, my lone entries will be in there too.
Cheese IS a diet Food!

To start, my first entry into the Feasting while Fasting Challenge was a Vegetarian Low Calorie Tomato and Courgette Bake with a delicious cheesy topping. Dollops of Low Fat Cream Cheese Scattered with grated Parmesan type Cheese combined milky creaminess with a mature tang. Only a small amount needed, perfect for the 5:2 Fast Diet.
Along the gratinated and tomatoey dish theme, is a Stuffed AubergineParmigiana from the I’m Counting UFOs Blog. Using the aubergine skins for potion control is an excellent idea too, and of course is great for the presentation.
A wonderfully colourful and fresh looking option comes from the Author of Tinned Tomatoes. This Beetroot, Fig and Feta Salad looks so inviting it’s certainly something I can see myself knocking up for an easy tea.
If you’re a fan of aubergines I recommend my Middle EasternAubergine Boats, also topped with a smattering of hard Greek cheese, they are my second entry for the Feasting While Fasting round up.
While researching Cheesy 5:2 recipes, I came across this prawn dish from the London Unattached Blog. Of course, being a vegetarian it’s not quite up my street, but in the coming weeks I can see myself stealing elements of the idea… perhaps swapping prawns for some butter beans or chickpeas, and loading it up with fresh parsley for a summer’s evening supper.

If you’re in need for a richer cheese fix, then perhaps this “Cheese” Sauce from the No Bread is an Island Blog) is the recipe for you, it’s vegan so it’s not strictly cheese but the flavour is there by all accounts. Nutritional Yeast by the way, can be bought in Holland and Barrett.

Finally, my latest addition for the cheesy line up is the Broccoli and Stilton Stuffed Mushrooms that I cooked up for my Nanny on her recent trip to Wales. She really enjoyed it and hopefully others will too. To be honest, it could have done with a little more soft cheese, so if you have the calories to spare then it’s worth upping the amount.
 

Comments