"Turkish" spiced Quorn with Super Easy Homemade Flatbreads

It's been a rather exciting few months and as such there has been a bit of a blogging gap. Hubbie and I have moved to the Westcountry but due to a delay in our house purchase I had to head on West a little before he did and stay with my mum. The upshot was returning home to a mum-cooked meal each evening (so comforting during a long, cold January) and consequently a paucity of bloggable food from me.

But we are now ensconced in our new home and the first room that's been unpacked is of course the kitchen! And what a kitchen it is, it's absolutely huge compared to the broom cupboards I've become used to. No longer does my serving crockery have to be kept in the living room, never again will I have to seek out the linen from a box under the bed. There is certainly some decoration to be done but I finally have the heart-of-the-home kitchen I've been after (can you tell I'm a little excited...?).

For my first blog in ages I thought I should do something rather spectacular but then this evening's supper happened. It's not some extravaganza of a meal, it's just a delicious combination that didn't take me forever and a day to prepare.

You'll see that the star of the show are spiced Quorn pieces and it's a fact of which I am completely proud and unabashed. People can be quite snooty about Quorn and other meat substitute type products but these chicken stay chunks are a fantastic source of protein and take on flavours beautifully so I say give them a try. Vegetarian food need not be time consuming and I always have a bag ready to go in the freezer.

As for the flatbreads, they really didn't take me long and it was certainly quicker than realising that I was craving flatbreads and then going to the shop to buy some. Their chewy deliciousness was certainly far preferable to anything the supermarket could provide.



Flatbreads...

"Turkish"spiced Quorn with Super Easy Homemade Flatbreads

First things first, get the flat breads on the go...

200g strong white bread flour
100-120ml luke warm water
5g easy quick action yeast
A decent pinch of salt

Mix the ingredients until you have a soft but not sticky dough. Add the water gradually, how much you need will depend on the flour and if you go to far, fret not as a sprinkling of flour can save the day.

Knead of 5 minutes before leaving the dough to one side for a quick rise while you prepare the rest of your feast.

Turkish Spiced Quorn Pieces...

In a bowl mix the following:

150g Quorn pieces
2 tbsp plain yogurt
1 tbsp harissa paste
Squeeze of lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp sumac
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp allspice
Salt and Pepper

Heat olive oil in a fry pan, fry over a medium-high heat for 12-15 minutes.


Salad...

Prepare a salad of whatever you have filling the chiller box. Crunchy salad works wonders here and some roughly chopped parsley or coriander would be a dream. Dress simply with lemon juice and olive oil.


Minty Yoghurt...

Mix 3 tbsps plain yoghurt with 1/2 tsp mint sauce.


Back to the Flatbreads...

As the Quorn is cooking, split the dough into four and roll out to thin discs.

Heat a wide frying pan with a small amount of olive oil, add one of the flatbreads. Cook on each side for 2 minutes.

Repeat 3 more times.


Now all you need to do is assemble and serve. Yum!



Don't miss a recipe follow me on Twitter




Comments