Unbelievably Easy Chocolate Orange Cheesecake with a Ginger Biscuit Base

Desserts are often a faff aren't they? Baking a cake is a wonderful pursuit but it's also a chemistry that requires precision and consequently concentration; pastry is a fiddly task and my custards and jelly invariably fail to set how I envisaged...

A scour through my dessert archive and there is one overwhelming theme... ease. This post proves to be no exception to that rule. In fact, I think it might be the easiest sweet treat I have ever created. There is no cooking involved whatsoever. None. Nada. Not a jot. It's a complete assembly job from start to finish. 

The reason this pudding is so easy to put together is courtesy of my new favourite cheat ingredient. Carnation Chocolate Filling and Topping was next to the dulce leche caramel in the supermarket (I was initially looking for Banoffee ingredients - another excellent assembly sweet) and I have to say I was intrigued. This fudgey chocolate delight is a recommended topping for a chocolate fudge cake but I had ideas of marbling it through a cheesecake mixture. In reality, the chocolate filling was too stiff for marbling but what a wonderfully decadent chocolate layer it made.

This might be one of my favourite things I have made in a long time. I love the combination of chocolate and ginger anyway but the addition of an orangey citrus touch is just too ridiculously moreish and is of course reminiscent of the ubiquitous chocolate orange that will no doubt be hiding away in my Husband's stocking come Christmas Day. But this isn't Terry's, it is completely mine and it can be yours too with about 5 minutes of effort. 

Chocolate Orange Cheesecake with a Ginger Biscuit Base

Ingredients:

1/2 pack of ginger nut biscuits (150g)
75g salted butter
1 tin Carnation chocolate filling
500g mascarpone cheese
Zest of 3 satsumas (because that is what I had in) or 1 orange
20g dark chocolate with orange (I used the Lindt Orange Intenso, it is incredible and you can have the rest of the bar for munching)

Step One: Make the base. 
- Crush the ginger nut biscuits.
- Melt the butter and mix into the biscuits. 
- Press the mix into a 20cmx20cm dish and pop in the fridge while you whip up the topping. 


Step Two: Prepare the chocolate layer
- Open the tin of Carnation Chocolate Filling. 

Step Three: Prepare the cheesecake layer
- Mix the zest into the mascarpone (I don't sweeten this layer as that chocolate filling is plenty sweet enough)
- I haven't experimented with additional booze as yet but I would not be surprised if a dash of Grand Marnier was an incredible inclusion.

Step Four: Assemble
- Retrieve the base from the fridge. 
- Spread the chocolate mixture over then follow with the zest mascarpone. 
- Grate the chocolate liberally over the top and pop back in the fridge for an hour or just until you are ready to serve. 


Don't miss a recipe, come and follow me on Twitter




Comments

  1. Chocolate orange and ginger do just work so well together, especially at this time of year. This sounds delightful!

    Sus // roughmeasures.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really think about the Autumnal flavours until it was mentioned to me. I guess when the temperature dips, we start craving warming flavours like ginger without even thinking about it.

      Delete
  2. I love cheesecake and I especially like easy-to-make ones. I'll be giving this a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be the easiest I have ever made, it doesn't even require any whipping of cream. I love marscapone for that, unlike other soft cheeses it holds it's structure so well.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, what an interesting combination of flavours. I love dessert, but it can indeed a bit of a faff making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are, and I seem to mess them up quite a lot of the time too since I'll be concentrating on making the main course.

      Delete
  4. Gosh, this looks and sounds wonderful! Chocolate and orange are so wonderful together, aren't they?

    I also love that you make a point of saying that the rest of the chocolate can be munched - you're a woman after my own heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's part of the reason why it's so important to but good quality chocolate for this recipe... all the better for snacking on later ; )

      Delete

Post a Comment