Like Coco Pops but better for you - Healthy cereal doesn't have to be a misnomer

A swift look through my posts and Instagram feed and you will see that I have a great love for anything eaten in the morning time. I heart breakfast and brunch! The old adage is that it's the most important meal of the day so I find it baffling that so many pre-made options in the shops can be so full of crap. Cereals and cereal bars are generally the worst offenders, even the relatively savoury ones are laden with sugar.

Figuring out the popularity of this ubiquitous start to the day is hardly rocket science...  it's quick, easy and generally delicious. There, I said it. Cereal tastes amazing. I throughly enjoy a bowl of Wheetos, Cherrios, Start, the classic Cornflakes or indeed Rice Crispies and their chocolatey counterpart. The problem is that I know a bowl of cereal will keep me going only so long, by mid morning I am ravenous! The smart money would bet on that being due to the sugar high so I've turned my attention in recent years to creating my own fast, just add milk breakfast options that don't have a silly amount of sugar per serving and are free from unpronounceable ingredients. This has mostly consisted of various types of granola... (check out my coconut-nut granola for some inspiration) but I've become a tad bored of granola it seems and have decided to branch out... into COCOPOPS!

Yes, you read it right, the time has come to take on the delight that is a bowl of Cocopops and I reckon I've come up with something equally delicious. This recipe isn't a recreation of the original (I have no desire to take the classic on head to head, I'm not crazy), but it does involve chocolatey goodness and puffed rice so the comparison isn't entirely misleading.

Low on sugar and high on cacao means this bowl of morning decadence has a decidedly dark chocolate vibe with it's bitter undertones, of course you could lessen the amount of cacao or cocoa if you are making this for children and perhaps increase the rice malt syrup levels ever so slightly. I've added in the nut butters to give a hint of natural oils and protein but mostly because they add a rich tastiness that I can't quite put my finger on, it just tastes good.

Serve this in smallish portions (about 30-40g is about right), top with fresh fruit if you fancy and always a slosh of cold milk.... and yes, it does turn the milk chocolatey!

Coconutty Cocoa-Poppy Cereal

Measure out:

2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 tbsp peanut butter (I used Meridian as it's purely peanuts)
1 tbsp almond butter (again, used Meridian)
2 -4 tbsp rice malt syrup - this syrup does have sugar but it's glucose, not fructose so easier to digest - add according to your taste.
Pinch of salt

Melt and stir until combined. Stir in 2 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder (do this completely to your taste and taste as you go the first time, you can always add more but can't take it away).

Check the mixture, if it's a little bitter from the cocoa then a splurge more syrup will help the balance and vice versa.

In a bowl combine the chocolatey mixture with:

300g plain puffed rice (you'll usually find the plain stuff in the gluten free aisle)
100g rolled oats (get the large ones if you can)

Lay out on a baking sheet, and place in a medium oven (170degC will do it) for 5 minutes. Go back and give it a jostle and a mix then back into the oven for 2 minute more.

Take the cereal out the oven and set aside to cool. It will be soft all the while it's hot but don't worry, the crunch comes later.

Once cooled, store in an airtight container ready to adorn your breakfast table.

Don't miss a recipe, come and follow me on Twitter



Comments

  1. Such a cute idea! I know I LOVE my cereal AND chocolate in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breakfast is the best meal of the day and I wouldn't mind eating a big bowl of this at all! Who can say no to chocolate for breakfast? :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I love this idea!! We have a not so healthy addiction to cereal in this house. I don't buy the super sugary ones, but still. We go through way to many boxes. I love the idea of adding some yummy flavor to healthy puffed rice and oats!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment