Carrot and Date Salad with an Orange and Tahini Dressing - Perfect BBQ Fodder!

I went to a friend's BBQ recently and of course I couldn't turn up empty handed. So apart from the usual veggie burgers etc to adorn the hot coals (and piri piri chicken wings for my meat eating hubby), I arrived brandishing this salad.

It's an excellent option if you are taking a dish along to a gathering because unlike it's leafy counterparts, this salad actually benefits from a bit of sitting time. It's also pretty delicious and a fair few of my fellow BBQers asked for the recipe. And so without much further ado, here's how you make it...

Top Tip: You can grate the carrots and this will still be delish but matchsticks made with a mandolin are just that bit thicker and retain a pleasing crunch especially if you aren't serving up for a while.



Carrot and Date Salad with an Orange and Tahini Dressing


2 Carrots - grated or cut into matchsticks
Toasted almond slices
Fresh coriander
Fresh parsley
Juice and zest of an orange
6 dates (medjools are amazing but they are really expensive, try soaking normal dates in the orange juice)
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Tahini
1/2 tsp date syrup (although honey works fine if you don't have any)
Juice of half a lemon
A splash of water

First start with the date and citrus dressing.

Cut your dates into small chunks, place in a jar with the juice of your orange and lemon. Pour in the olive oil, tahini and a dribble of water.

Sprinkle over a large pinch of ground cumin and coriander and a liberal sprinkling of salt and pepper.

Pop the top on the jar and shake vigorously. If it's a little too thick then add some more water.

The rest is just assembly really, mix the rest of the ingredients with the dressing but make sure to reserve some of the almonds to be sprinkled over the top.

Don't miss a recipe, come and follow me on Twitter



Comments

  1. I have some dates in the cupboard that I've only used once - never know what to do with them! This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Dates, my dad imports them so they were always around growing up.

      Have you thought about using them with walnuts as a cheesecake base? Or they work beautifully in a cous cous salad too.

      Delete
  2. This is far more substantial and adventurous than my usual salads. I haven't done anything with dates except put them in smoothies - I'm going to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dates in salads, this looks gorgeous - definitely one for this Father's Day veggie BBQ!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment