Chipotle Black Bean Huevos Rancheros

When I came to write this post, I did a search of my previous musings only to find that this would be my first time sharing a recipe for huevos rancheros. This is strange for one important reason, it has to be my most loved and most cooked weekend brunch recipe! If hubby and I have a rare quiet weekend at home, this is invariably on our Saturday or Sunday morning table.

Today's version is laden with smokey black beans a la Anna Jones on this morning's Saturday Kitchen. We woke up bleary eyed and discussed having huevos rancheros when we turned on the telly to see Anna making her black bean brunch tacos for the panel of some of my favourite chefs. Bloody love those Greedy Italians and Jamie Oliver (not sure who the last one on the panel was but he was great too).

So, inspired by her twist on the classic I hopped into the kitchen and whipped up my version with what I had in stock. It was lush, so lush that I felt I should share!

Smokey Black Bean Huevos Rancheros Recipe
Serves 2 but super easy to scale the recipe up or down

First I got the black beans cooking and then I concentrated on the rest of the condiments.

Chipotle Black Beans:

These black beans would be similarly tasty as a jacket potato topping with a splurge of soured cream or yoghurt.

1/2 white onion - roughly chopped
1 clove garlic - crushed
2 sun-dried tomatoes - roughly chopped

Fry off in a drizzle of the oil from the tomato jar and a sprinkle of salt. Follow with:

1/2 tin of black beans (drained)
1/2 chopped chill
1 tsp chipotle paste (do this according to taste and the paste, some are super spicy but others really aren't that hot and you can be more generous without blowing your head off)
2 handfuls of fresh spinach (torn)

Add everything to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes before sprinkling in a pinch of veggie stock powder and covering with a cm of water.

Allow to simmer away while you sort the rest of the ensemble...

Smashed avocado 

Less involved than a complete guacamole, this is super simple:

1 avocado
Squeeze of lime
Salt and pepper

Smash the avocado up with a fork, squeeze in the lime and sprinkle over the salt and pepper to taste.

Tomato and Pepper Salsa 

I love the crunch of a bell pepper in my salsa. In a dish like this it adds another layer of texture. I went for a mix of orange, yellow and red tomatoes but use what ever you have in.

2-3 tomatoes depending on their size (mine were actually pretty small so I went for 4 of them).
1/4 pepper (yellow, red or orange - steer clear of the bitter green ones for this)
1/2 chilli
Splash olive oil
Squeeze of lime (again)
Handful of fresh coriander or flat leaf parsley

Roughly chop the tomatoes and peppers, no need to be uniform or picky about it. Mix with everything else and some good salt and pepper.

Assembly

2 eggs
2 tortilla wraps
Salad cress (optional)
Rocket (optional)

Fry a large free range egg per person (I like to keep the yolks nice and runny) and warm the wraps in the microwave or oven.

Put a wrap on the plate, top with a handful of rocket and then half of the bean mix.

Top with the egg and pour over the salsa/tomato salad mix, followed by dollops of the avocado.

Finally, sprinkle some cress over the top and serve immediately.



Don't miss a recipe, come and follow me on Twitter



Comments

  1. OMG. This sounds like JUST my kind of thing. I rarely make a cooked breakfast, but I always love things like this when I get around to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a cooked breakfast at the weekend but tend to find a fry up doesn't set me up for the day, precisely the opposite and I tend to need another nap. This has the opposite effect though, perfect morning fuel.

      Delete
  2. Goodness me, this sounds delish! Though I'm not sure I could face it for breakfast it would make a great informal supper dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes an ideal supper. Easy, fresh tasting, relatively healthy and vibrant.

      Delete
  3. This sounds really tasty and would be really filling especially with the addition of the egg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to think that so many dishes are improved with an egg. The ultimate super food!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like the PERFECT brunch! I love all of these flavours. Chipotle for the win. Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo for chipotle. Is there anything that it doesn't taste good on? I'd be tempted to add it to my morning porridge... maybe not.

      Delete

Post a Comment