Oozy Blueberry Porridge for a Decidedly Comforting Breakfast

Over the last week I have been having a nasty acid reflux flare up. I was diagnosed with GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) years ago and every now and then I have to go back to taking Omeprazole for a couple of weeks to get it under control.

Being overweight (which I still am, despite losing some chub in the last few years) and dietary choices (like the bread and red wine I consumed liberally at the weekend) definitely don't help. So it's little surprise that I have found moderating my diet can really help prevent and treat a flare up. 

When I have a spate of GERD I often turn to oats and bananas, not sure why but they most definitely seem to work for me. Porridge is a godsend this week! The problem is that I find that milk just makes things worse so I opted for a dairy free alternative, Oat Milk. I bought my oat milk (the Rude Health brand is free of sweeteners and is certainly my favourite) but I'm told you can make it pretty easily... If you can't get the sugar free stuff, I would imagine that could be worth it, if not I feel like it's the milk equivalent of puff pastry... life may well be too short. 

This porridge recipe was inspired in part by a recipe in my Deliciously Ella cookbook, I've stolen her idea of a splurge of almond butter and coconut oil - although I have used coconut butter for its rich creaminess.

My other top tip is to use frozen blueberries if you want them not to turn to mush on cooking. That said, mushy blueberries it not to be sniffed at either.

Dairy Free Blueberry Porridge 
Serves 2-3 depending on hunger level

1 cup oats - the bigger the oats the better in my opinion
2 cups oat milk - you may need a little more to loosen the porridge at the end so have the rest on standby
1/2 cup blueberries
Pinch of salt
1 banana - cut up for the topping

1. Put everything but the banana into a pan and warm on a medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 7-10 minutes.

2. Once the porridge starts to bubble and thicken you will need to stir more frequently. Once the oats are soft and the milk has thickened, the porridge is done. Feel free to add a little more milk if it needs some loosening. 

3. Ladle into bowls and top with the sliced banana.



Don't miss a recipe, come and follow me on Twitter


Comments

  1. I've always been put off trying porridge because of the grey, sludgy colour but this one looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colour of your porridge. Mushy blueberries would be perfect in this. I've not heard of GERD before, but it doesn't sound very nice - my sympathies. Have you tried kefir?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment