My mummy's vegetarian sausage rolls - ridiculously moreish!

I feel like I need to share this even though I know that many of you won’t cook it. It’s because this is a recipe that was so prevalent in my childhood, so ubiquitous that I want you all to know about it. It’s my Mummy’s vegetarian sausage rolls and they are very much on my mind since I gorged on them at my sister's Christmas party a few week ago. I made up a huge batch and they were scoffed faster than anything else.

And the reason why I don’t think you’ll cook it? Well, the filling is largely made up of SosMix and since the advent of Quorn and Linda McCartney it’s just not widely available.

So where can you find Sosmix?
You can get it online from Alternativestores.com you can also occasionally pick it up in health food shops (I recently discovered one near my house). Granose used to have a plain sausage mix that did a good job but I’ve noticed that they are only selling the Lincolnshire version now – whilst that’s not disastrous, it does muck with the flavour a little.

So if in doubt go online (you can use the mix in other recipes too). If you’re after a quick fix head to a health food shop (Holland and Barratt are stockists) and pick up the Granose stuff or some plain dried soya (which you’ll most definitely need to pimp up).

If you live in Cardiff (which sadly I don't anymore), then pop down to Spice of Life on Inverness Place - man I miss that shop! 

Are they really worth the effort?
Without a shadow of a doubt, whenever we had a party or picnic Mum would make these and now I do too. I remember serving this exact recipe up in my food tech class at school and Mrs Ransford was still talking about them as the summer holidays approached. Always the first things to go, there is something wonderfully moreish about them and they go down a storm with everyone (not just the veggies). They were also a great introduction to the flavours of curry for young kids.

Curry powder, sausage, apple, pastry… what’s not to like?


The World’s Best Vegetarian Sausage Roll

It couldn’t be simpler (especially if you use shop bought pastry)… just mix, fill, roll, cut, cook.

1 sheet ready rolled pastry
300g Sosmix
3 tsp medium curry powder (use hot or mild if you prefer but medium gives the most rounded flavour)
1 Apple (a Braeburn or Cox is perfect) – finely chopped
1 small red onion – finely chopped
15g fresh coriander – finely chopped
Water to bind - enough to cover the sos mix by 1cm.
1 egg – beaten


Preheat the oven to gas mark 6.

Mix the Sosmix with the curry powders, apple, onion and coriander. Add in the water, give it a stir to incorporate it then leave to stand for 10 minutes.

If you’re really after the perfect taste, fry off a tiny bit of the mixture to check the seasoning levels. Otherwise, you can go by smell and guess work or try the cold mixture.

Take your pastry and slice length ways. Spoon the mixture in two lots in a line down the pastry then roll up into one long sausage roll, using a dab of the egg wash to fix the pastry roll in place.

Cut into chunks about 3cm long. Score a slash in the top of each one. Douse with the egg wash and pop in the oven for 15 minutes.

Once they are risen and golden, they’re done. Eat one straight from the oven as a cooks perk and put the others aside for when your guests arrive (hide them from yourself at this point if you want any to be left).

Don't miss a recipe, come and follow me on Twitter


Comments