20 North African and Middle Eastern Vegetarian Dishes

It will be clearly apparent to any readers of this blog that I absolutely LOVE Middle-Eastern and North African flavours. It’s no coincidence that my fiancĂ© proposed atop Riad Mur Akush in Marrakech before we sat down to a sumptuous Moroccan feast, that man knows the way to my heart is Ras El Hanout! But it’s not just Morocco that inspires me, the food of Lebanon, Turkey, Israel, Palestine, Egypt and beyond is a constant source of exciting ideas.

Merguez spiced Chickpeas and an oozy fried egg for simple supper
There is something wonderfully comforting about the earthy tones of ground coriander and cumin whilst spikes of caraway and preserved lemon enliven the taste buds with a gentle smack in the face. The other thing that I love about these Southern-Mediterranean delights is that whilst there are a fair few meaty dishes to dodge, the vegetables are often the star of the show (or at least they can be made to be if needs be).

I’m certainly not alone in my love of Middle Eastern food, 15 years ago Houmous was mere hippy food and now it adorns almost every fridge in the country! Chefs such as Yotam Ottolenghi, Claudia Roden and super blogger Bethany Kehdy have certainly done their part in encouraging this chickpea-fuelled craze. I would highly recommend reading their books by the way, they are an absolute education.

So here is a collection of Veggie-Friendly North African and Middle Eastern dishes; do leave a comment if you have your own favourite to add.

NB: You may notice the glaringly obvious omissions of Baba Ghanouj and Houmous, I assure you this is completely intentional. They are such ubiquitous recipes to be found in every corner of the internet that I figured it was better to reserve a space for something a little less well known.

Mezze and Sharing Dishes

Carrot and Fava Bean Falafels ready for a wrap
Falafels are of course traditionally made with chickpeas but my experiments with dried split fava beans turned up these Fava Bean and Carrot Falafels which were a lovely alternative. And if you look up Hodmedods you can buy British grown Favas which is no bad thing!

Bethany Kehdy's Pumpkin Kebbeh are a deliciously sweet alternative to falafel and a magnificent use of the squash glut in autumn.

Muhammara is a red pepper based dish that is a must for a mezze platter and Bethany Kehdy's recipe is my favourite.

Fattoush Salad is the regions way of using up left over pittas that are past their best. It is great for a mezze spread but also makes a wonderful lunch on its own.
Lahmacun, a surprisingly quick and easy
Turkish take on pizza
Whenever I have gone to turkey I have coveted the lamb covered pizzas but a veggie version just wasn't forth coming. These Smokey Vegetarian Lahmacun are so delicious and make an awesome lunch as well as a superb sharing dish. 


The sesame seeds in these Cheese Borak are a delicious addition to a classic courtesy of the Syrian Foodie.
 
Besara is a smoky and moreish Moorish dip that I have adapted from a recipe in the Jewelled Kitchen. It's so delicious that I have almost (but not quite) replaced my houmous obsession.

This Carrot salad from three ladies blogging in Libya is a welcome addition to any collection of sharing dishes. They also serve something similar in Portuguese restaurants with bread and oils as you sit down. 

The Main Event

My first post from back in May 2013 remains one of my favourite recipes. The sweet onions and delicate spicing make these Roasted Aubergine Boats a fantastic and healthy centrepiece to any meal. 

The onions are the absolute star of the show in Ottolenghi's Mejadra, a delicious rice dish that is incredible served with just a couple of hard boiled eggs as accompaniment. 

Egyptian Lentil Bake with an eggy topping 

Proof that all food is improved with an egg on top, my Egyptian Lentil Bake makes the most of north African spicing and is a great addition to a dinner party spread.

A Seven Vegetable Tagine is the most incredible centre piece to a veggie friendly North African feast and was the dish I was served up when Ed proposed so it has a special place in my heart. That one didn't have cabbage though, instead it was dotted with fennel. The wonder of this dish is you can choose what veg is in season and your favourite.

Simple Suppers

Inspired by something that Nigel Slater did on his show, my recipe for Merguez Peppers and Chickpeas with an egg on top is the ideal simple supper.

Super easy vegetable and feta tray bake

One oven dish makes this simple to make and simple to clean up, the flavours of this Vegetable and Feta Cheese Tray Bake are wonderfully comforting too, perfect for a cosy night in.

Something a Little Sweet

Another easy, go to recipe courtesy of Yotam Ottolenghi is his Roasted Figs with Pomegranate Molasses and Orange Zest.

My Turkish Delight Strawberries with Saffron Cream have to be my favourite summer dessert now, a bit different to the usual strawberries and cream but no less quick and easy.

Turkish Delight Strawberries with Saffron cream for a Middle Eastern take on a British classic

M’hanncha, I feel in love with this recipe when I saw Jamie Oliver give it a go on his Jamie Does Morocco show. Filo pastry and almonds, what's not to like! A fab make ahead dessert, try it with the saffron cream that comes with my strawberry recipe above.


Extras

A simple Lebanese Tarator Sauce goes with pretty much all dishes. Sesame, garlic, lemon juice, what's not to like?

Preserved Lemons are expensive when you buy them which I find ridiculous since the only two essential ingredients are lemons and salt. These are spiced with flecks of dried chilli too. Pop them in a pretty jar and they also make a delightful gift.

Sweet Fig Vinegar might not be the most ubiquitous of middle eastern ingredients but this is my take on a fruity vinegar using one of the regions most celebrated fruits. It's another item that makes a lovely gift too.





Don't miss a recipe, come and follow me on Twitter


 

Comments