Oaty Banana Pancakes

I have been trying to cut down my wheat in take recently, I am not cutting it out completely, my life would not be nearly so happy without tiger bread for one thing. That said, it makes me feel bloated whenever I eat it and I am well aware that too much wheat is not helping me lose any weight. So, the plan? I am updating recipes where I can to be wheat free. Last night we had spelt dough pizza for instance (this one needs tweaking before it can come anywhere near the blog though) and this weekend I also made these Oat-based banana pancakes for breakfast. 

This is a recipe that I have had a little play around with. The first time I made pancakes using ground oats in the place of flour they were just too heavy. Very filling and I didn't need to snack but they also tasted just a little bit too much like health food for my liking. Second time round I used less oats and increased the raising agent but then they lost too much of their substance. Helpfully, the old adage of 3rd time lucky bore out and I found that with the addition of banana and a little less oats that the first attempt but a few more than the second that I had a good recipe on my hands. 



Oaty Banana Pancakes

100g oats (you can get gluten free ones)
200ml milk (I used Koko Milk which is made from Coconut milk, it's low in calories and gives a deliciously coconutty flavour to the pancakes)
1 large egg
1 banana
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
Coconut oil for frying

Method :

1. Whizz up all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
2. Leave to sit for 5 minutes, the raising agents should cause bubbles to form. 

3. While the mix is resting, get a non stick pan on the hob on a nice and high heat. Spoon in a small amount of coconut oil. 

4. When the oil is melted, spoon in the mix a ladle at a time, depending on the size of pan, you should be able to cook two at once. 

5. After about a minute, you will see the edges brown a little, quickly and calmly flip each pancake and cook the other side for another 30seconds or so. Essentially you are looking for both sides to be golden brown. 

6. I keep the pancakes warm in a foil parcel while I make up the rest of the batch. 

7. Serve with berries (I've used blueberries here), a dollop of yoghurt and a squirt of syrup (I used maple this time round as I was out of Rice Malt Syrup. The rice syrup is fructose free though so it is better for you).

Don't miss a recipe, come and follow me on Twitter



Comments