Sugar Free Coconut Scones

Since we moved to a village from the city, Ed and I have been reminded of just how friendly neighbours can be. Not that it is impossible in the city, after all that's how we met but it is certainly less than usual. In my new guise as a friendly neighbour, I've started to bake for my fellow villagers with one exception. Until this week I hadn't made anything for the lady across the road. She has diabetes and my bakes have tended to be sugar loaded affairs.

Last weekend I sought to rectify this glaring omission in my baked goods gifts with a batch of coconut scones. I will be honest, I wasn't entirely sure they would be tasty without the sugar, I was concerned they would sit in the no man's land between sweet and savoury. And to be honest I was right, they are in that space, but it isn't a no man's land, it's just the middle ground and what a delicious ground that is. The coconut adds a hint towards sweetness which could easily be added to with a generous dollop of jam but in all honesty I haven't felt the need to do that at all. These scones are mightily delicious as they are. 



Coconut Scones

250g Plain Flour
1tsp bicarbonate of Soda
50g dessicated Coconut
A pinch of salt
1 medium egg
100ml Buttermilk 

1. Sieve the flour and bicarbonate together in a bowl. Mix in the desiccated coconut and salt.

2. Beat the egg and add to the mix, get your hands in the bowl and lightly work the egg mix through. 

3. Mix in the buttermilk gradually with your hands until everything comes together in a soft dough, try not to be too heavy handed at this stage. You may need a little extra or a little less buttermilk, what you are looking for is a soft but not too sticky dough. 

4. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, roll gently to a thickness of 3cm and using a cutter cut out about 12 rounds. You will find that you may need to roll the mixture again, do so with as light a hand as possible. 

5. Place on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 20 minutes or until risen and a lovely golden brown colour. 

6. My best advice is to enjoy them straight from the oven with a slathering of good quality butter. 

Don't miss a recipe, come and follow me on Twitter


Comments