Summer Fruits Chia Pudding... Yes, you can have pudding for breakfast!

You might remember that I used Chia seeds a while back in a breakfast smoothie, well since then I’ve branched out and started sprinkling them over all sorts of things. They’re fab in a banana bread mix or add a tasty crunch to a salad for instance. I do tend to find that I come back to them time and time again for breakfast.

These last few weeks I’ve been loving my chia seed puddings so I thought I’d share the recipe. This does come with a bit of a caveat though; whilst I love them there was a general consensus amongst some of my guinea pigs that they need to be sweeter. The thing is, I am doing my best to cut down on refined sugar, particularly at the beginning of the day when the last thing my body needs is a blood sugar spike.

So my advice, give the recipe a try and taste it, if you think it needs a saccharine kick then drizzle in something like Rice Malt Syrup or Agave, just steer clear of the white stuff at breakfast!

Hang on a minute, what on earth is Chia??

I don’t really like the term “superfood” it’s mostly just a marketing ploy to get us to part with our hard earned money, it basically seems to equate to food that has lots of nutrients but is conveniently left by the wayside for the cheaper options (like Eggs for example, I think they definitely fit the superfood definition). That said, Chia Seeds are pretty awesome and could arguably be worth of the accolade but again that of course comes with a rather expensive price tag. Here are some of the reasons that I’ve started including Chia in my diet:

Omega Oils

As a vegetarian I am very conscious of lack of Omega Oils in my diet since I don’t eat fish. I already had some sesame and linseed (flaxseed) in my diet to compensate but it seems that Chia seeds are the best source, they’ve got more omega than you could shake a stick at (never quite figured out the origin of this saying but I love it).

It’s Swell

When added to liquid, Chia seeds swell to 17 times their original size. This helps fill you up and also slows down the rate of digestion preventing blood sugar spikes. No spikes, no need to snack. Studies have shown that this can help to prevent diabetes and decrease bounce in your belly (insulin overproduction has been shown to be a factor in putting on fat around the tummy area).

Loaded with Nutrients

It’s not just Omega Oils that make Chia seeds so nutritious, they are a fab source of fibre, calcium, manganese and phosphorous. They are particularly good for healthy teeth and bones.

Not bad for a tiny seed, it might not pack much of a punch in the flavour department (you’ll need to find that elsewhere in your food) but there is something to be said about having a spoonful of chia in your day.

Summer Fruits Chia Seed Pudding

In a bowl mix up the following:

2 cups of Milk (I like Kara/Koko milk – its coconut based and has a slight natural sweetness)
4 tablespoons of chia seeds
1 cup summer fruits from the freezer
1 pod vanilla seeds (or a good splodge of pure vanilla)
Some kind of sweetener if you’re using it – Agave or Rice Malt Syrup would be my preference for a breakfast food.

Leave to sit for 30 minutes at the very least, the chia seeds will swell.

Pop into a blender and whizz up, the mixture will thicken at this point. You could use a hand blender too; it will just take a little longer.

Pop into bowls (or Tupperware to take to work) and put in the fridge.


NB: Make sure you cover the mixture, I had my latest batch in the fridge at the same time as a bunch of wild garlic and the result wasn’t overly pleasant!



Don't miss a recipe, come and follow me on Twitter


Comments

  1. this looks very tasty. I have been using chai as a binder in cooking, in place of egg. I too, was wondering about the origins of that phrase. I found this page very interesting http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-sha2.htm, but it seems no-one knew for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment