The Best Brownies Bethan has Ever Eaten!

Absolute, sheer and unadulterated indulgence… life is too short not to make this recipe!

Little did I know that I was on to such a winner on Tuesday evening when I decided to whip up a batch of brownies, I decided on a bit of a whim to bake up a storm in the new kitchen and the result was gooey, rich, chocolate brownies with a fiery ginger hit that lifted them from delicious to sublime.

Fudgey Chocolate and Ginger Brownies

The base recipe was based on one from the Hummingbird Bakery’s first cookbook (a book that I heartily recommend for cupcakes in particular) but I made a few additions in the form of cocoa powder for an extra chocolaty hit, coconut oil replacing some of the butter and of course the all-important ginger addition. The cooking time was a fair bit longer than the Hummingbird recipe suggested and I’m not sure why to be honest. It could be that there was a substitution of flour for cocoa or perhaps it was the use of coconut oil in place of some of the butter? I’m really rather flummoxed.

I really ought to dedicate this recipe to my Dad; he just loves crystallised ginger covered in dark chocolate and I make sure I get him a box come Christmas time. Perhaps this year I’ll accompany it with a batch of these brownies too.


Dark Chocolate and Ginger Brownies

200g good quality dark chocolate – at least 70% cocoa solids
75g coconut oil
100g unsalted butter (you could use 175g butter and no coconut oil if you don’t have it in)
325g caster sugar
100g plain flour
30g cocoa powder
3 medium eggs
4 pieces of stem ginger and 1 tbsp of the syrup it comes in

1. Grease and line a 20x20 square tin unless you have a silicone one that doesn't stick, then there’s no need.

2. Put the oven to gas mark 3.

3. Melt the chocolate and oil/butter in a bowl suspended over boiling water or on a low heat setting in the microwave (careful to keep an eye on it though and keep stirring it).

4. Stir in the caster sugar until it’s well combined.

5. Now for the flour and cocoa powder, stir through making sure the separate components are blended thoroughly.

6. One at a time, crack each of the eggs in and beat into the chocolatey mess filling the mixing bowl.

7. Finely chop the stem ginger and sir through, accompanied by the tbsp of its super sweet liquor.

8. Pour into your prepared tin and place straight into the oven. The original recipe suggests 30-35 minutes but mine took around 45-50 minutes in all. I would countenance having a look at 30 and making a judgement call. What you are looking for is an ever so slight looseness in the middle and if a skewer is inserted it should come out mostly clean with a few gooey cakey crumbs.

9. Allow to cool in the tin before turning out and cutting into 16 squares if you’re feeling gluttonous or 20 if virtue is more your thing. Shower with a sprinkling of icing sugar for an extra dose of prettiness. 


Don't miss a recipe, come and follow me on Twitter


Comments