Vegetarian Answer to Chicken Soup

It's been a rough couple of days, I've not been too well so food hasn't really been on the top of my agenda. But after some enforced fasting, today I have perked up a bit and my tummy is a bit grumbly.

Problem is I really don't want much in the way of big hitting flavours, still I'm looking for comfort food that will do me good. In this situation my meat-eating mum swears by chicken soup (as do many mums out there) but as a vegetarian that's not likely to happen. 

This leek and potato soup does just the job and the addition of a few butter beans not only ups it on the comfort factor, it contains much needed proteins when you're not feeling too hot. There are no onions and no garlic, this is because the subtle flavour of the leeks is plenty when you're not tip top. That said, feel free to add them if you like.


Leek and Potato Plus-Soup 
1 tbsp olive oil
500g leeks
500g potato
250g carrots
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary
3 stock cubes
1/4 tsp maggi all purpose seasoning
2 litres water
215g tin butterbeans
Salt and pepper to taste.

1. Saute the leeks in the oil over a medium heat for 5 minutes then add the carrots, potatoes and herbs. Fry off for another couple of minutes. 

2. Pour over the water, maggi seasoning and stock cubes, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. 

3. Drain the butter beans and add to the pot, simmer away for another five minutes. 

4. Blend up with a stick blender if you want, the level of chunkiness tends to vary according to my mood. 

Easy and low effort, just what you want when you're a little tired or under the weather. 

Comments