Courgette (Zucchini) and Banana Bread from across the pond.

A few years back I made my first trip to Houston with my friend Ana Maria. The journey was made for work but there was a little time left over to have an explore. It was on one of these expositions beyond the conference that I first discovered Zucchini Bread. Such a savoury taste in a cake... the notion baffled me somewhat and it was with a little trepidation that I tried my first bite. Well, I have not looked back since. I will now happily proclaim from the roof tops that the addition of the humble courgette to a cake results in a delightfully moist texture that provides the ideal vessel for many a spiced flavour. In the intervening years I have added courgettes or zucchinis, whatever you fancy calling them, to many a baked delight. This banana bread recipe is my favourite so far, it's not too sweet and heavily spiced and the banana adds a fantastic flavour and moistness to the crumb.
 
 
Banana and Courgette Loaf Recipe
 
2 mashed medium bananas
 
1 medium courgette - grated (about 200g)
 
3 medium eggs - beaten
 
1tsp vanilla bean paste or 2tsp vanilla essence
 
250g caster sugar (golden caster is best for flavour but white will do just fine)
 
Mix all these together in a bowl and leave to sit for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile...combine the following:
 
200g plain white flour
 
200g whole meal flour (make sure it's not bread making flour or you'll have a tough cake)
 
1 and 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
 
1 tbsp cinnamon
 
2 tsp nutmeg
 
Then sieve into the wet ingredients before adding 100g chopped mixed nuts.
 
Combine everything well using a light touch in a bid to keep the mixture light.
 
Pop into a loaf tin and into an oven at gas mark 4 for 1 hour.
Once a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, it's done and can be left out to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
 
This loaf is delicious hot or cold. Include it in a lunch box with a smattering of butter for a seriously delicious treat.

I'm entering this into October 2013's Alphabakes, hosted by Caroline Makes and The More Than Occasional Baker (the latter is hosting this month).

 

Comments

  1. I love banana bread and adding in courgettes is a great idea. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment