Allen's Bakery - Cardiff's Secret!

This is shaping up to be a rather Cardiff-centric post but I figure that wherever you are in the world, it’s always fun to hear about a secret bakery!

I’ve lived here for nearly 8 years (on and off) and it was only very recently that I came across Allen’s Bakery, tucked away behind an unassuming residential home in Roath. Of course it’s not a complete secret otherwise they wouldn’t get any business but this is a hidden gem of the highest order, not least for the fun factor of finding it down an alley way.

If you happen to live in Cardiff (or even if you are just passing through), head to Arran Place (it’s at the top of Albany Road) and wander along until you see the opening of the ubiquitous and seemingly un-noteworthy(not sure that's actually a word) alley that runs behind so many of the city’s buildings. Once on this path, you won’t fail to notice the aroma of fresh bread and pastries wafting up as you traverse the uneven tarmac. Continue on for 20/30 paces and you’ll be struck by the sight of a building that looks quite frankly like an old run down garage. It is in fact a bakery, replete with 125 year old ovens and a family business that has been running for decades. After a number of visits, I still get an overwhelming sense of discovery every time!
 
As for the goods on offer, it’s certainly not a huge establishment and the selection isn’t vast but don't let that deter you. The croissants and pain au chocolate are fresh, fantastic, and frugally priced (they also pass the “Aurore Test” a.k.a. my French housemate), the baguettes are very good, as is the walnut bread and I have heard murmingings that the pasties are lovely. Next time I go, I have my eye on the rather delectable looking cakes and a round of pizza dough (only 60p a pop). My only criticism would be the lack of variety in the breads, they have a lots of types of white and a few brown but I’d love to see some spelt and sourdough thrown into the mix.

I do have one word of caution though, get in early (especially at the weekend). Allen’s Bakery closes at 1pm and on a Saturday morning a fair amount will have been scoffed by midday… so perhaps it’s not such a well-kept secret after all!

Comments