5:2 Fast Diet Recipe: Vegetarian Aubergine "Steaks" with a Tangy Sauce

Last week seemed to go by in a bit of a blurry-eyed haze. Molly (my new puppy) is so lovely, until it's bed time and then she wails like a tiny banshee. Needless to say, Ed and I didn't get a huge amount of sleep and the next morning I just couldn't muster the impetus needed for a fast day. 

Today marks the start of a new week and I'm starting how I mean to go on, back on 5:2 with renewed vigor.  I started off my day with porridge made with cherries and Koko Milk (a dairy free alternative to milk that's essentially watered down coconut milk, it's delicious and only 27 calories per 100ml).I then subsisted on only fruit teas and water 'til supper. 

Having spent the evening taking Molly for a walk we got back in at 8.30. Needless to say, I was hungry and pretty impatient by the time it came to cook dinner. I needed something substantial, flavoursome and quick. 

Once again, the humble aubergine coupled with spices came to my rescue. The sauce that I teamed it with can be used for so many things... Ed had a generous dollop alongside his lamb steaks and I reckon it would work wonderfully as a burger relish.


5:2 Diet Recipe: Vegetarian Aubergine "Steaks" with a Tangy Sauce ( only 135 Calories)

For the Sauce:


This was enough for two people

200g fresh tomatoes (36)
100g onion (40)
10g chilli (6)
5g/1 clove garlic (7)
1/4 preserved lemon (3)
10g coriander (2)
10g flat leaf parsley (4)
1tsp olive oil (40)
1/2 tsp sumac (4)
1/2 tsp ground cumin (4)
1/2 tsp ground coriander (4)
1/2 tsp black pepper (3)
No need for salt because the preserved lemon is pretty salty!

1. Whizz up all the ingredients in a food processor. 

2. Add it to a hot frying pan for 3-5 minutes just before serving. Taste to make sure that the raw taste of the spices has been tempered. 

I served it with 130g of aubergine slices (32) that I had sliced to 5mm thickness and cooking in low cal spray oil until nicely browned and then topped with a super garlicy tzatziki...

For the Tzatziki:

Served 2 people

80g cucumber - grated coarsely (12)
5g/1 clove garlic - grated finely (7)
10g fresh mint - finely chopped (4)
3 tbsp fat free Greek yoghurt (29)

1. Mix all the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. 

And that's it, so easy and super quick. I was finished within 15 minutes of starting which is a bit of a miracle for me!




Comments