Vegetarian 5:2 Diet Recipe: Off to a flying start powered by yummy Vegetarian Aubergine Boats : )

I've jumped on the fasting bandwagon and started the 5:2 Fast Diet (with a vegetarian slant). I resisted for a while convinced that abstaining from the three meals a day I've been brought up eating wouldn't be good for my body or indeed my sanity.

Well, I was wrong (ouch, that always hurts to make such an admission). I have since read the book and various articles and it seems that this may well be the healthiest way to eat. And it makes sense really, after all prehistoric me wouldn't have eaten everyday!

I'm nearly a week in and already I've lost 4lbs (though I am sure that is dieter's beginners luck). I'm also discovering some great new ways to prepare vegetarian food the 5:2 way.

The only snag at the moment is it seems like there is a lack of Vegetarian and Vegan 5:2 Diet Friendly recipes, so hopefully this blog might fill the hole in your stomach....

So to my first creation that I feel is worth sharing...

5:2 Diet Recipe:  Vegetarian Roasted Aubergine Boats with a Middle-Eastern Tomato Sauce (297 calories)

Today I was so very hungry for my dinner, I went for a run before my breakfast of porridge and strawberries and was ravenous by 3 o'clock. By 6 pm I wasn't far off eating my own hand, I needed a big plate of food if I was going to stay away from the loaf of homemade bread calling out to me.

So I created this, it was partly inspired by an Ottolenghi recipe and adapted to satisfy my craving for something with a tomato base. I've put the calories for the individual components in brackets in case you want to swap and change.

Delicious 5:2 Vegetarian Aubergine Recipe

30 spays low cal oil spray (30)
320g Aubergine (80)
120g onion - finely sliced (48)
1/4 Preserved Lemon (10)
1 garlic clove - crushed(4)
5g Chilli- no seeds and finely chopped (3)
½ tsp cumin (3)
½ tsp sumac (3)
200g tinned tomatoes (36)
20g greek hard cheese - grated (75)
20g coriander leaves (5)

1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6.

2. Cut the Aubergine in half length ways and cut some criss-cross scores in the flesh. Spray each side of each half with 5 sprays of the low cal oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Pop onto a baking tray and into the oven.

3. Use the remaining 10 sprays of low cal oil in a non stick pan, add the onion and cook until they are just starting to brown. Have a glass of water on hand and start adding it little by little so you are effectively 'frying' in water.

4. When the onions are soft, add in the chilli, lemon and garlic for 2 minutes. Chuck in the sumac and cumin and stir through for a minute or so, until the smell starts to escape from the pan.Stir through the tinned tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir through the coriander, leaving a tablespoon for garnish.

5. Once they've been in the oven for 20-25 minutes the aubergines should be starting to brown on top with a softened texture. Spoon the tomato mixture over the aubergine, scatter over the cheese and put back in the oven for a further 15 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle over the last of the chopped coriander and enjoy.

Potential changes....

You could add a dollop of Greek yoghurt if you have the calories or a nice crisp salad. 

Alternatively, if you aren't on a fasting day this recipe could be taken from delicious to divine with the addition of a generous glug of olive oil and some toasted pine nuts.
 

Comments