A Favourly Review for Flavourly

A few weeks back I signed up for my first Flavourly box via a groupon deal. My plan was to take advantage of the £6 offer for a box of gourmet goodies and then once my first package arrived to promptly cancel the subscription which would set me back £14.99 a month. I have since been the grateful recipient of such a bountiful collection of epicurean delights that I rethought the original plan.

As a brief description, Flavourly is the foodie equivalent to a match-making service, a culinary yenta if you will. Sign up for a monthly fee of £14.99 and in return you are introduced to your ‘dates’ for the month. After a brief fling, if you’re a match made in heaven you can head out to your local shop and begin a life-long love affair.


On opening my box I found such a wonderful collection of foods I knew nothing or little about; it was like Christmas morning for food fanatics! In fact, I am so enamoured with the box’s contents that I thought I’d do a quick review of each piece ( I should say that I’ve not received any payment or freebies, these are all my own unbiased thoughts).

On another note, you might be interested to know that I priced it up and I reckon to buy the contents would be just over £20. So there’s a saving of 25% which is pretty good but not amazing since I wouldn’t have been likely to buy many of the contents on my weekly shop. But that’s not the point, what I’m really paying for when my direct debit hands over £15 of my hard-earned is the service, it’s the introduction to knew things that’s worth its weight in gold!

So onto the reviews…


Superjam is a brand that I already know and love but I’d never tried their strawberry offering before now. I am certainly pleased that I have. This jam is wonderfully fruity without being too sweet. A jam that tastes like the fruit on the label rather than the sugar it’s cooked with is something to be celebrated.



These were absolutely lovely, the mulberries were wonderfully chewy and sweet but not too sugary. The chocolate was good quality and had a slight bitterness. A great snack and despite me opening them with the intention to have just a few, they were polished off in about 10 minutes.



I’m not 100% sure about these, they had a delicious flavour but the texture wasn’t great. They are dried instead of fried so are a far healthier alternative to crisps… but I reckon ‘crisps’ is a bit of a misnomer. They were chewy not crispy, in fact they were incredibly chewy and I found them a little hard work. I certainly would think twice before giving them to young children. 



I am a simple soul and there are few things that frustrate me more than herbal tea bags that promise so much from their smell and then fail to deliver on taste. This peppermint tea bag didn’t fall in to that trap; enticing aromas were coupled with a delightfully fresh and minty taste. I actually managed to get two cups from the same tea bag which is lucky since they don’t come cheap!



Out of everything in the box, this is by far and away my favourite new discovery and certainly the one I am most likely to seek out in future. If you usually order a korma from your local Indian, you will probably find this too hot. I however love a spicy dish and this certainly delivered. Not too hot so that I couldn’t taste the delicate spicing but packing enough of a punch to make my mouth tingle. The cardamom really shines through giving the dish a wonderfully aromatic pungency. An absolute winner!



Posh popcorn seems to be all the rage at the moment which can be no bad thing. Such a fantastic vessel for flavour and there’s something fun and childish about it that appeals to me greatly. As for these, I have mixed feelings. The hazelnut gave a wonderful depth of flavour to an old favourite but the honey didn’t shine through. It was a very tasty popcorn but not sufficiently innovative to merit the hike in price for me. I would certainly give some of their other flavours a go though if I happened to see them in the shops.


Items that I didn’t try…

Since I’m a vegetarian and I don’t drink anything caffeinated there were a few items I had to redistribute. Not that I’m complaining, there were only three (two of which Ed had) and the tea I gave away was a gratefully received gift.

So that you don’t miss out on reviews as a result of my pickiness I have badgered the recipients for their thoughts.


Ed liked this, but said that he didn't get the same boost as from something like Red Bull. Personally I see that as a bonus since I don't really like that caffiene hit.



Ed's reaction to this rather posh sounding meal for one is that it was a nice, easy supper but lacked seasoning. Once he added some salt and pepper though it went down rather well.



I'm afriad that I can't comment on this one just yet because the person I gave it to is yet to try a cup. Will update as and when I know.

Comments